Covid-19 Travel Advice for Existing Customers. Click here
South Dakota holidays - Rural, welcoming and impressive
Explore the rolling prairies & dramatic hills of South Dakota, a beautiful region full of history, rodeos, and of course - the iconic national treasure of Mount Rushmore. This expansive landscape is perfect for fishing, camping, hiking and more.
Discover iconic attractions, other-worldly landscapes and wild west fun
Tourism is the state’s second largest industry following agriculture and it’s easy to see what keeps people coming. First off, there’s the incredible Mount Rushmore, a national icon paying homage to America’s greatest presidents. Another top attraction not to be missed is Crazy Horse Memorial built in honour of the Native American people. Interspersed among the big name sights, you’ll find theme parks, crazy golf courses and a host of intriguing off-beat attractions (including the world’s only Corn Palace) guaranteed to keep the whole family entertained.
South Dakota is home to numerous expansive national and state parks, each one packed with memorable scenic by-ways, hiking trails and countless opportunities for exploring, camping, canoeing and fishing. Top of the list should be Badlands National Park, a barren lunar-like landscape filled with spectacularly eroded geological formations and prehistoric wonders. Then there’s Custer State Park for classic Black Hills landscapes of thick forests, granite peaks and mountain lakes, along with rich wildlife sightings. For a change of scene, head below ground to witness the magnificent sprawling cave systems at Wind Cave National Park and Jewel Cave National Monument.
Beyond the stunning natural heritage, the state boasts a rich history and bustling urban life. The town of Deadwood does a fantastic job at recreating the untamed world of the Wild West. Rapid City is the region’s commercial heart, with plenty of shops, restaurants and museums, as well as providing easy access to the national parks.
Five reasons to visit South Dakota
- Don’t miss the iconic Mount Rushmore. Known as America’s “Shrine of Democracy” it’s one of the country’s premier tourist sites, attracting nearly 3 million people every year
- Explore stunning landscapes and spectacular geology across five National Parks. The captivating Badlands and beauty of the Black Hills are not be missed
- Get active in the outdoors. Hike, bike, run, paddle, fish, camp… whatever your preference, it’s all possible here
- The state is awash with vivid reminders of the past, spanning the time of the Sioux warriors, gold prospectors, cowboys, and more. Grand memorials, historic landmarks, fascinating museums and recreational parks bring it all to life
- Hit the city streets. Shopaholics can browse for high fashion items in the chic boutiques of Sioux Falls, or admire Native American-made wares in Rapid City stores. Foodies will find more to satisfy their appetite, from tender buffalo burgers to delicious donuts at Wall Drug