Hawaii Island holidays - Awe-inspiring, lush and inviting
The Island of Hawaii, or The Big Island as its often known, is the largest of the Hawaii Islands offers stunning volcanic scenery with the Volcanoes National Park being a must see place as well as the lively night life and iconic beautiful beaches Hawaii is so well known for. A Hawaii holiday is perfect to tailor with a stop in California.
Revel in the volcanic natural beauty of Hawaii's Big Island
Hawaii Island is the largest of the islands in the Hawaii archipelago, and to avoid confusion with the name of the state, it is almost always referred to as the ‘Big Island’. The nickname is deserved – it’s bigger than all of the other islands of Hawaii combined and to those going in search of the legendary scenery of the 50th state, it might have the most typical natural Hawaiian beauty.
But it’s worth visiting for more than just the stunning sights and gargantuan scale; the Big Island boasts just about everything you can think of from a holiday perspective. There are golden sandy beaches, picturesque towns and mega-resorts. Hotels on Big Island, Hawaii are some of the nicest in the state and you can find somewhere catering to virtually any kind of holiday whether you’re looking for a relaxed couple’s getaway or a fun family holiday.
One of the major attractions is the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park where you’ll find jaw-dropping scenery and active volcanoes. You can even hike to the summit of Mauna Kea, which holds the title of the tallest mountain in the world (although a large proportion of it is under water).
Top reasons to visit Hawaii Island in 2015 and 2015
- Snorkelling is a must in the coast around the Big Island
- Visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park to see some of the most impressive natural sights
- Check out the bizarre beaches – as well as the stunning white sand of Kehaka Kai you’ll also find black sand and even green sand beaches here
- Spend some time in Hilo, it’s the largest city on the island and makes a great base for visits to the botanical gardens and waterfalls nearby
- Go hiking on the beautiful trails of the island