Current Travel Advice for Customers.Click here
Los Angeles holidays - Famous, glitzy and flamboyant
Los Angeles is a fantastical city that seems barely as real as the TV shows and films we know it from. But, in reality, it is a step beyond the glamour and the sun-kissed beaches - there's much more to this fun Californian destination that most people realise.
A classic choice for a true Californian experience
There’s a unique edge to Los Angeles that playfully bleeds into the more plastic façade to create pockets of the fascinating, cultural and downright beautiful. That said, the glitzy veneer certainly holds its own charm and is commonly what people visit this city for – a taste of fantasy and opulence.
Go window shopping on Rodeo Drive, spend a family day out at the Universal Studios or spend a relaxing afternoon at the beautiful Huntington Gardens. There are the tourist traps that lure in even the most discerning of travellers, but that still keep everyone entertained, such as the Hollywood sign and Sunset Boulevard. And then there are the beaches – Venice, Malibu and Santa Monica all provide a gorgeous sandy setting to your days.
So what of culture? There’s a fantastic music scene, with up and coming acts sharing the stage every week, as well as a thriving film and TV industry (naturally). Most people wouldn’t place LA as a literary destination either, but there are some wonderfully unique bookstores here – in fact, the city itself has housed a number of landmarks and characters from books past and present.
And if it’s art you’re seeking, look no further. Whether it’s in one of the increasingly prevalent galleries or on the streets themselves, art is everywhere. That’s just the tip of the iceberg though – Los Angeles knows how to entertain. Museums, theatre, dance – it’s all here, just waiting to be found.
Five reasons to visit Los Angeles
- The food – dependent on what you want to spend, where you are in the city and what you’re craving, your options are practically never-ending
- The nightlife is brilliant, with just about every type of bar, club and cocktail lounge you can think of; check out the live music scene, which is overflowing with amazing acts
- Los Angeles is well known for being a shopping lover’s dream – designer, vintage, souvenirs and everything in between can be found here
- Its close proximity to other Californian treasures makes it ideal for a multi-centre holiday – why not combine your stay in Los Angeles with a trip to San Francisco, or the natural beauty of Yosemite National Park?
- Its beaches – Los Angeles plays host to some great stretches of golden coastline
With so many places to see within a two-hour radius of the city, if you're planning a self-drive trip, we recommend either staying a day or two longer, or giving real consideration as to your next stop-off destination. Learn more about what lies beyond the city limits with our guide to heading out on a day trip from Los Angeles.