Alaska holidays - Captivating, adventurous and stunning
Mentions of Alaska conjure iconic images of snow-capped, steely mountain edges and icy depths; of behemoth brown bears and docile moose. One of the US’ last remaining wild frontiers, Alaska is a place of true, unrivalled beauty. You’ll hear it said many times over that this is a place of superlatives and that’s true – the sheer magnificence of this destination is awe-inspiring, to say the least.
To the outdoor adventurer, Alaska is the ultimate playground. But if you’re a city lover, fear not – there’s a healthy dose of urban jungle too. Steadily rising in the ranks of the discerning traveller’s wish list, this beautiful location has captured the imagination of many.
Inspired travel with our expertise
Boasting sensational vistas and awesome outdoor pursuits
Home to numerous national parks preserving some 51 million acres, 100,000 glaciers and three million lakes spanning its five territories, you’ll be forgiven for being at a loss as to where to start when journeying to Alaska. This gargantuan challenge is best served in manageable chunks rather than trying to experience everything it has to offer in one trip – and you’ll find that it’s a destination that gets better and better the more you explore it. The fascinating culture of Alaska is a unique fusion of Native Alaskan customs with a Russian influence which merges to create somewhere altogether different from the rest of North America.
The stunning scenery doesn’t end once you make your way to the cities. Anchorage is the USAs northernmost city and provides a classic city setting despite being less than 30 minutes from complete wilderness. The capital city of Juneau is just as picturesque and charming, and Fairbanks is a culture-lover’s haven with a great history. Then there are the national parks – each offers a diverse mix of wildlife and breath-taking scenery, from mile-thick glaciers to volcano-freckled landscapes. Whether travelling by car or cruise, flying or walking, Alaska has an endless supply of sensational memories in the making.
Five reasons to visit Alaska
- The scenery – you can’t miss it nor would you want to! It remains one of the leading reasons why so many people visit Alaska; for the mountains, the glaciers and the winding rivers.
- Cruises through Alaska are an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience; they give travellers a great opportunity to access the vast native wildlife and many national parks.
- The national parks are superb – America's four largest are found right here.
- The contrast between ancient culture and modern living is both fascinating and unique, making it all the more interesting to explore.
- America’s 49th state is ideal for rail holidays – see this rugged destination from a new perspective in what promises to be an unforgettable trip.