9am-7pm Mon-Fri / 9am-5pm Sat-Sun
Midtown New York holidays - Iconic, busy and exciting
Sitting just to the South of Central Park, Midtown New York is home to a dazzling array of famous landmarks and iconic attractions. Take in the heady views from atop the Empire State Building or shop till you drop in the neon adorned Times Square. Midtown is also where you can explore the evocative main hall at Grand Central Station or enjoy an amazing world-class Broadway show.
Discover Manhattan's famous landmarks
Midtown, New York is commonly defined as the area south of 59th Street, east of the Hudson River, and west of the East River. It is the main business district and busy at all times of the day and night, as it is also home to Times Square which is the centre of the theatre district. Most of New York’s sky scrapers are found here, as are most of the big retail shops.
In just a few blocks, you can watch the world go by on the ground in Times Square or from the sky atop the Empire State Building. Visit the kind of places which you more readily see in movies such as the Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Terminal and the United Nations. You can shop until you drop in the huge variety of big name stores on Fifth Avenue or try the smaller pop-up ones for something different. Indulge in a Broadway show, see a classical concert at Carnegie Hall, eat at any one of the family restaurants in the area or go upmarket and eat at '21' Club or Le Bernardin. Midtown is where the visitor usually stays, is fed and entertained, so you will find a great deal on offer.
- Try a pastrami and corned beef sandwich from a local deli
- Eat a hot pretzel from the street vendor on the corner
- Visit a show on Broadway (get tickets first – they sell out, just as they do anywhere!)
- Shop until you drop in iconic stores such as Bloomingdale's, Barneys New York and FAO Schwarz
- Visit the museum of modern art
- If you’re a devotee of Dorothy Parker or just want to soak up the historical literary associations of a previous era, take Cocktails in the Algonquin hotel.