9am-7pm Mon-Fri / 9am-5pm Sat-Sun
Hollywood holidays - Glamorous, vintage and iconic
Located on the west coast of America, Hollywood is a city (which exists almost as a suburb of Los Angeles) in California. Most famous for its movie industry, movie history and showbiz stars, the city is a perfect addition to any west coast USA touring holiday.
Things to do in Hollywood
Hollywood is where all the big films were made and big stars created and many of the cities attractions take you behind the scenes to let you have a closer look; be it at the sets, the make-believe or the stars homes themselves. Movies have gone more global since the heady days of the 1950’s and 60’s, but the history is still vibrant in Hollywood. You can join a number of differently styled tours, on foot or by trolley (tram) which includes the Hollywood Walk of Fame, often seen in magazines as the next star imprints their hand for posterity into the pavement. The walk was first established in 1958 to honour entertainment achievers and there are now over 2,400 “stars” which are built into the pavement in brass and terrazzo. The Hollywood Bowl hosts major sporting events which you might like to see, or just go and take a peek behind the scenes at one of the cities studio tours.
Shopping in upmarket stores in Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Boulevard will feel as though you’ve just come onto a film set, as like many Hollywood locations and hotels, they will be recognisable from films you have seen. The city has a number of museums devoted to the film industry and entertainment and an array of theatres which have hosted events such as the Academy Awards (Kodak Theatre).
- Window shop Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Boulevard (the hotel of which was used in the movie Pretty Woman) and hope to celebrity spot.
- Get up close and personal, and catch more than just a glimpse of the glamorous world of cinema at Universal Studios Hollywood? Revel in the excitement and magic of Hollywood with a guided tour of the back lot, which has been home to the craft of movie making for over 100 years.
- Put tired feet up on a Hollywood Trolley Tour which takes a guided amble through the city’s top spots.
- Enjoy the gossipy tales of stars as you hope to see them mowing their front lawns on a Movie Star’s Homes Tour
- Take a night-time helicopter tour and see Sunset Strip lit up .
When to go
Any time of year is a good time to visit Hollywood as the weather is reasonably constant and warm. Occasional showers in winter are not enough to ruin the day. High days and holidays will attract more crowds and it said that between June and October the city suffers from smog emerging from LA – so if you are sensitive to crowds and smog choose Spring months.