Hotel del Coronado
Room Only from €199 per person per night
A hit with fun-loving families and those who love the relaxed Southern Californian lifestyle, Hotel del Coronado is an awesome beachside escape. Perched just across the bay from downtown San Diego, we love that this hotel fuses fun in the sun with relaxation.
Drinking handcrafted cocktails whilst chatting by a roaring fire pit, tucking into fiery tacos as you watch the waves, finishing beach yoga with a dip in the pool…days spent here are brimming with wonderful moments. There’s a nostalgic feel to this place, taking you back to laidback childhood days where your only worry was which ice cream flavour to choose next.
The hotel’s focus is to ‘write your story in the sand’, and there’s ample opportunity to do so – whether you’re visiting as a family, or heading here for romance. Loved up couples will relish a delectable seafood dinner under the stars at 1500 Beach, and taking a refreshing dip in the adult only pool. Meanwhile, we’re certain kids will absolutely love the kid’s club here, with cool science experiments, pirate camps and art labs enriching their imagination for the entire holiday.
The rooms and suites here are separated into three areas – the Victorian Building, the Ocean Towers and Cabanas, and the Beach Village. Those in the Victorian Building adopt a classic style, though we can’t help but love the Ocean Towers’ beautiful ocean views and contemporary living. The Beach Village, meanwhile, feels like its own tiny town, with the gorgeous Beach Cottages offering the best views of the pristine beach.
A quintessential beach holiday just isn’t complete without delicious food. This retreat must have known, as the selection of delightful beachfront restaurants ensures that diverse, sumptuous cuisine is on the menu every day. You can’t beat Sunday brunch at the Crown – you can make your own donut whilst sipping a Bloody Mary here – whilst Eno’s fabulous artisan pizzas and cosy firepits are perfect for a laidback meal.
This wonderful hotel’s beachfront location evokes a laidback seaside charm, perfect for lounging on the sun soaked sands and listening to the waves lap against the shore. Only a 15-minute drive to downtown San Diego, you’re not too far from fun in the city, but still secluded enough to enjoy a peaceful afternoon.
All rooms and suites include:
- In-room TV
- Coffee and tea making facilities
- Mini fridge
- Victorian Room – Charming rooms located in the Victorian Building, featuring one queen size bed, lovely views of the resort grounds, and a maximum occupancy of two guests.
- Victorian Resort Room – Delightful rooms slightly larger than the Victorian Rooms, featuring one king size or two queen size beds, views of the resort grounds, and space for up to four guests.
- Tower/Cabana Room – Located in the Ocean Towers or California Cabanas, these cosy rooms feature one king bed or two queen beds, as well as a balcony and views of the resort.
- Coastal View Victorian Room – Bright and breezy rooms nestled in the Victorian Building, featuring one king size or two queen beds, and a partial view of the ocean.
- Coastal View Tower/Cabana Room – Found in the Ocean Towers or California Cabanas, with one king size or two queen beds and a partial view of the ocean from the private balcony.
- Ocean View Victorian Room – Classy rooms in the Victorian Building, featuring one king or two queen beds, and a wonderful view of the Pacific Ocean.
- Ocean View Tower/Cabana Room – Elegant rooms located in the Ocean Towers or California Cabanas, with amazing sea views from the private balcony.
- Victorian Junior Suite – Spacious suites in the Victorian Building, featuring a lovely sitting area with a queen size sofa bed, and pretty views of the resort grounds.
- Ocean View Victorian Junior Suite – Chic suites with the same amenities as before, plus a picturesque view of the ocean. Some feature a balcony.
- Victorian Suite – 600sqft of stylish space, boasting a separate living room with a sofa bed, and beautiful garden or bay views.
- Two Bedroom Victoria Blue Octopus Family Suite – Ideal for families, these suites feature an ocean-inspired kid’s room with bunk beds and a trundle bed, bean bag chairs, and a giant treasure chest full of toys and games. There’s also a comfy living room with a queen size sofa bed.
- Two Bedroom Victoria Crown Suite – Sophisticated 1200sqft suites, featuring two bedrooms - one with a king size bed, one with two queen beds – a separate living room with two sofa beds, a large dining table, and a stunning view of Glorietta Bay.
- Ocean View Victorian Signature Suite – Located in the Victorian Building, these charming suites feature one king size bed and a cosy living room with a sofa bed. The private balcony offers divine views of the ocean.
- Coastal View Tower Resort Suite – Nestled on the top floor of Ocean Towers, these vibrant suites feature a king size bed, a separate living room with a sofa bed, and partial ocean views from the private balcony.
- Oceanfront Tower Resort Suite – Spacious 900sqft suites located on the top floor of Ocean Towers, featuring one king bed and a separate living room with a sofa bed. End the day with a beautiful sunset on your private balcony.
- Coastal View Tower Resort Parlor Suite – Luxurious 1,200sqft suites, featuring a king size bed, two bathrooms, and a large separate living room boasting a fireplace, sofa bed, dining table and wet bar. The private balcony offers sensational views of the sunset from the top floor of the Ocean Towers.
- Two Bedroom Tower Blue Dolphin Family Suite – A brilliant suite for the whole family to enjoy, boasting an ocean-inspired kid’s room with bunk beds and trundle bed, a bedroom with a king size bed, a lovely living room with a sofa bed, and two bathrooms. These suites are located on the top floor of the Ocean Towers.
- Coastal View Villa Room – Classy rooms located in the Beach Village, located in the back row of buildings and featuring two queen beds, a fireplace, a marble bathroom, and a partial view of the ocean from the patio.
- Ocean View Villa Room – Similar to before, featuring either a patio or a balcony.
- Oceanfront Cottage Room – Located on the second floor of the cottages and nestled in the front row of the Beach Village, these lovely rooms boast two queen beds, a fireplace, a marble bathroom, and a gorgeous view of the ocean from the balcony.
- Beachfront Cottage Room – Luxurious ground floor rooms nestled right by the beach, featuring a patio with an outdoor soaking tub, two queen beds, and a cosy fireplace.
- Oceanfront Cottage Junior Suite – Expansive second floor suites, offering comfort with its king size bed, warming fireplace, marble bathroom, separate living area with sofa bed, and a balcony.
- Beachfront Cottage Junior Suite – Found right by the beach, these first-floor suites feature the same amenities as before, with beautiful beach views from the balcony or patio.
- Beach Village One Bedroom Suite – Stunning suites found either in the beachfront cottages or the ocean view villas, featuring a king bed, gourmet kitchen, living room with sofa bed and fireplace, private balcony or patio, and a lush marble bathroom. Stay in one of the beachfront cottage suites and you’ll also be treated to an outdoor fire pit.
- Beach Village Multi Bedroom Suite – With up to three bedrooms, these fantastic suites are perfect for families. Located in the beachfront cottages and ocean view villas, each room has either one king or two queen beds, and there’s also a gourmet kitchen, living room with sofa bed and fireplace, and a balcony or patio. Some even include two-level layouts and outdoor soaking tubs or firepits.
1500 Ocean – This upscale restaurant offers sensational seafood dishes inspired by its gorgeous beachfront setting. With a touch of seasonal flair, and menus influenced by cuisine from all over the world, this is a perfect spot for a romantic meal.
Opening times: Tuesday to Saturday 5.30pm-10pm
Sheerwater – A laidback restaurant served up a variety of fresh dishes, from delicious seafood and flavourful smoked meats, to overloaded sandwiches and a special kids menu.
Opening times: Breakfast 7am-11am, Lunch 11.30am-3pm, Dinner Sunday-Monday 5pm-10pm and Tuesday-Friday 5pm-9pm
Crown Room – Boasting San Diego’s best Sunday brunch, this restaurant will tantalise your taste buds with flavours from all over the world. Who could resist the gourmet Bloody Mary bar? You could even design your own donut, or spoil yourself with a made-to-order mimosa. Brunch has never been so indulgent.
Opening times: Sunday 9.30am-1pm
Eno – Dine on delicious artisan pizzas amidst a casual beachside setting and calming ocean views. You can dine indoors, but we’d recommend perching yourself by the outdoor firepit for an evening of socialising and drinking craft beers with the sunset.
Opening times: Sunday to Thursday 5pm-9pm, Friday to Saturday 5pm-10pm
Sun Deck – A cool spot on the beach, serving up delicious gourmet Mexican cuisine al fresco. We love sitting by the fire pit and tucking into the hotel’s flavourful signature dish – the Del Fish Tacos, washed down with zesty mojitos.
Opening times: Lunch 11.30am-5pm. Cocktails 11.30am-dusk
Babcock & Story Bar – A lively bar offering classic cocktails and casual snacks, named after the hotel’s founders. This is a great place to enjoy an evening of live music, or watch the game on the big screen. Order yourself a seafood platter for a true taste of the ocean.
Opening times: Sunday-Thursday 12pm-12am, Friday-Saturday 12pm-1am, Light fare 12pm-11pm.
Sunset Bar – This bar is a favourite with locals, with its infectiously friendly atmosphere, cosy fire pits, handcrafted cocktails, and sensational Californian-style appetisers.
Opening times: Tuesday-Thursday 4.30pm-10pm, Friday-Saturday 4.30pm-11pm
- Babcock & Story Bakery – A popular, boutique bakery, serving flatbreads, sandwiches, teas and coffees 24 hours a day.
MooTime Creamery – Venture to this funky 1950’s style ice cream parlour for a tasty share of ice cream, sherbet and frozen yoghurt, coated in sweets and fresh fruits and presented in a hand-rolled waffle cone.
Opening times: Monday-Thursday 12pm-9pm, Friday-Saturday 12pm-10pm.
Splash Bar & Deli – A snazzy pool bar offering fruity drinks and light snacks.
Opening times: 12pm-5pm
Del Beach Bar – A great place for a light lunch, devoured with a refreshing cocktail right by the beach.
Boardwalk Bar – A laidback beach bar ideal for a quick break to sip a smoothie or treat yourself to a snack.
Open Memorial Day to Labour Day
- Main pool
- Boardwalk pool (for guests ages 18+ only)
- Adults only jacuzzi
- Pool cabana rentals
- Spa and salon
- Yoga on the beach
- Water sports, including body boarding, paddle boarding and surfing (all additional price)
- Fitness centre and exercise classes, including Pilates, core conditioning and Zumba
- Bike rentals
- DelVentures – Open to children aged 4-12 years old, this fun activity centre is full of exciting opportunities for young guests, including art labs, dino digs, a mermaid and pirates camp, and cool science experiments. We love that this club hones in on children’s colourful imagination, going beyond the usual kid’s club activities and creating a unique adventure every day.
The hotel will be going through a $200 million renovation until 2021 enhancing the whole resort with new guest rooms, restaurants and other facilities, preserving the historic buildings dating back to the late 1800s. The hotel is taking all measures to minimise the effect of this work on the guest experience.