Fly to Los Angeles
Welcome to the City of Angels! Take a walk around your hotel and enjoy the shops and restaurants or simply relax before your holiday begins. At 6 p.m., gather at the hotel with your Travel Director and fellow travelling companions for a Welcome Reception. (WR)
Hotel: Hilton Long Beach (SF)
Los Angeles - San Diego Sightseeing
Travel south along the Pacific to San Diego. Get acquainted with the city on a guided tour that takes you from the Victorian Gaslamp Quarter and Old Town to the gardens and Spanish colonial-style museums of Balboa Park, the nation’s largest urban cultural park. Enjoy some free time until you join your travelling companions for a dinner. (FB D)
Hotel: The Westin San Diego (MD
San Diego - Scottsdale
Head east today, as the great Sonoran Desert opens up before you—keep an eye out for giant saguaro cacti. This afternoon, arrive in the desert playground of Scottsdale. The evening is yours to enjoy. (FB)
Hotel: Embassy Suites Phoenix - Scottsdale (F)
Scottsdale - Sedona - Grand Canyon National Park
Travel north through the fragrant pine groves of Coconino National Forest on your way to the artists’ enclave of Sedona. Get out your cameras as you near Oak Creek Canyon with its towering red cliffs and crystal pools. This afternoon, arrive at the Grand Canyon. Enjoy astounding views from the South Rim and meet with a Local Expert who will enlighten you about the amazing geology of this wonder of the world. (FB)
Hotel: National Park Lodges (NP)
Grand Canyon - Lake Powell - Bryce Canyon National Park
Say good-bye to the Grand Canyon as you wind your way around its South Rim. See the glittering waters of Utah’s Lake Powell and striking rock formations before arriving at Bryce Canyon National Park and its rainbow of limestone spires rising majestically from the desert floor—the largest concentration of hoodoos in the world. (FB D)
Hotel: BW Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel (F)
Bryce Canyon - Zion National Park - Las Vegas (2 nights)
Depart Bryce Canyon for the gorgeous wonderland that is Zion National Park. Marvel at the graceful slot canyons, towering cliffs and awe-inspiring monoliths. After basking in the natural beauty of Zion,
get ready for the neon lights and glitter of Sin City. (FB)
Hotel: Paris Las Vegas (SF)
Las Vegas Free Time
The choices are endless: Hit the casinos, do some shopping and enjoy lunch at one of the city’s elegant restaurants. If you’re feeling adventurous, take an optional tour to Hoover Dam, the engineering marvel that spans the Colorado River. Or just lounge a while by the hotel pool, browse the exclusive shops and visit a spa for a rejuvenating massage. (FB)
Las Vegas - Mammoth Lakes
Leave the glittering lights of Vegas behind and travel through the wide-open expanses of the Mojave Desert. Arrive in Mammoth Lakes on the eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevada and enjoy the evening on your own. (Weather conditions may cause the Tioga Pass to be closed to traffic, typically from mid-October to the end of the May. In this case, overnight in Fresno at the Holiday Inn Downtown Fresno.) (FB)
Hotel: Sierra Nevada Hotel (MF)
Mammoth Lakes - Yosemite National Park
Descend from the Sierra Nevada mountains through stunning Tioga Pass (weather permitting) into the Yosemite Valley, passing the misty splendour of Bridal Veil and Yosemite Falls. Gaze in wonder at the granite walls of El Capitan and Half Dome. Spend the night here in one of the wild places that John Muir called “the hope of the world.” (FB D)
Hotel: Yosemite Lodge at the Falls (MF)
Yosemite - Napa/Sonoma - San Francisco (2 nights)
Descend from the mountains and head north to Sonoma, where you visit a family-owned winery for an exclusive tour and wine tasting. Sample olive oils and estate-produced wines; then enjoy vineyard views as you dine alfresco with your hosts at a Be My Guest lunch. Travel through Napa’s scenic wine country before crossing the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco. This evening, enjoy a Highlight Dinner with your travelling companions. (FB BG HD)
Hotel: Hyatt Regency San Francisco (MD)
San Francisco Sightseeing & Free Time
As the mist rises over the bay, stunning San Francisco stands before you. Embark on a morning exploration that takes you from Fisherman’s Wharf to the magnificent Golden Gate Bridge. There’s a story around every corner and this afternoon you have some time to follow your own path. (FB)
San Francisco - Carmel - Monterey
Head south to the Old Mission in San Juan Bautista where you can step back in time to the Mission era. In the quaint village of Carmel-by-the- Sea, browse the shops, wander down to the water’s edge or savour a cappuccino at a café. After cruising the beautiful 17-Mile Drive past the famed Lone Cypress Tree and Pebble Beach Golf Links, arrive in Monterey for the night. (FB) Hotel: The Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay (SF)
Monterey - San Simeon - Santa Barbara
Travel south down the coast on your way to Hearst Castle, once the home of one of America’s most powerful men. After a guided tour of his fabulous residence, continue to sun-kissed Santa Barbara. This evening, toast your vacation and newfound friends with a California wine pairing at a fun Farewell Dinner. (FB FD)
Hotel: Hyatt Santa Barbara (F)
Santa Barbara - Depart Los Angeles
Wake to Santa Barbara’s golden beaches and elegant Spanish Revival buildings. Head south to Hollywood and see its landmark sign, Grauman’s Chinese Theater and the Walk of Fame. Bid farewell to the City of Angels as you ride down Sunset Boulevard and through
Beverly Hills. A complimentary transfer is provided to Los Angeles International Airport. (FB)
Please do not schedule any flights before 5pm.
Arrival back home
Weather conditions may cause the Tioga Pass to be closed to traffic (typically mid Oct-end of May). In this case, we overnight on Day 8 in Fresno, at the Park Inn
- Return transatlantic flights
- San Diego Enjoy an orientation tour including Old Town and Balboa Park.
- Sedona Journey through scenic Red Rock Country and Oak Creek Canyon.
- Grand Canyon ational Park Marvel at the sights from the South Rim.
- Lake Powell Enjoy views of the lake and its impressive rock formations.
- Bryce Canyon National Park View the pink and orange hoodoos.
- Zion National Park See the assive rock formations and explore the canyon.
- Las Vegas Spend two nights in the “Entertainment Capital of the World.”
- Yosemite National Park See Half Dome, El Capitan and spectacular waterfalls.
- Napa/Sonoma Valleys Drive along the scenic Carneros Highway and visit a winery in Sonoma.
- San Francisco Join a sightseeing tour of the city’s main highlights.
- San Juan Bautista Visit this historic Spanish Mission.
- Monterey Travel along 17-Mile Drive and visit seaside Carmel.
- San Simeon Tour the lavish Hearst Castle.
- Santa Barbara Visit this beautiful beach resort town.
- Los Angeles Take an orientation tour of Hollywood and Beverly Hills.
- 13 full breakfasts
- 1 lunch: Be My Guest lunch with wine in Sonoma
- 6 evening meals: Welcome Reception with light appetisers and drinks with your Travel Director in Los Angeles, 3 three-course dinners,Highlight Dinner with wine in San Francisco, Farewell Dinner with wine pairing in Santa Barbara
First Class Highlights
- 13 nights First Class accommodation
- Airport transfers are provided on Day 1 and Day 14
- Complimentary keepsake photo and My Journey book
- Audio Headsets For all guided visits and included sightseeing.
- Be My Guest Enjoy lunch with your host at a family-owned winery in the Sonoma Valley and delight in local vintages paired with delicious cuisine.
- Hidden Treasure Enjoy at least one surprise Hidden Treasure experience, unique to your itinerary, courtesy of your expert Travel Director.
- Local Expert Join a local specialist for an informative presentation in the Grand Canyon.